Last week I started the series Freedom to Work from Anywhere: Living the Mobile Life and two of my colleagues shared their tips. Today, we're going to share some more!
Do you dream of having a business where you can work from anywhere?
It really is possible. I've been doing it since 2003!
Many of my friends and colleagues run their businesses from many locations throughout the year too.
What have they put in place in their business that allows them to have the freedom to work from anywhere?
I've asked them to share some of their tips and strategies and I'll share their responses over the next few weeks in my series: Freedom to Work from Anywhere: Living the Mobile Life.
Today, we'll hear from Lisa Rothstein, Brenda MacIntyre and Saida E. Desilets.
Global Travel Is Easy When You Have a Plan
- Skype in all Forms – My new fave is using Skype on my iPad with ear-buds that come with an inline mic. It actually works better than on my laptop. I can even use it while walking down the street and showing the person on the other end the view! Skype is your friend when out of the country…especially Skype Out (You pay for it but it lets you call regular land line and mobile phones) and Skype In (You get a “local”phone number that people can call while you're abroad…you can forward it to the phone while there or let it go to voice mail. You can choose any area code you want.)
- If Global No Mobile – Do NOT use your mobile phone overseas if you can avoid it…you will pay through the nose!! If you will be there a while, or visit a country often, get a cheap local mobile phone and number for when you are there. That way you are reachable to friends in the neighborhood.
- Travel in Comfort – I'm like George Clooney in “Up in the Air” when I fly. I wear backless shoes (clogs or similar) with thin socks for easy removal at security and it also helps on disembarkation when your feet swell in flight. A pashmina of your own is essential instead of the airline blanket.
- Staying Connected – Bring your own headphones/ear-buds. Check before you fly on retailmenot.com or other coupon sites for discount codes on gogoinflight wifi service. Keep your phone off but in reach so you can use it immediately on landing.
- Added grin – If you ask for Bloody Mary Mix as your beverage they will often give you the whole can. 🙂
- The Time is What They Say it Is – When you get where you're going, THATs what time it is, period. Do NOT go to bed when you get there. Do as a the Romans do and NEVER say “It's really 4AM for me” unless you want to spend your whole trip exhausted and unpopular with your friends.
- Foolproof Way to Get Electric at the Airport – Best way to make friends in the airport – pack a surge strip in your laptop bag. Now you can use the lone plug at your gate and share it with 5 other people. Voila, you're a hero. The power strip is AWESOME because it guarantees YOU always have an outlet while making you look like a genius and oh-so-helpful!
Thanks to Lisa Rothstein – Screenwriter, Mad Ave copywriter & coach for multi-talented entrepreneurs. Co-Author of The DaVinci Dilemma™
I Don't Work with Clients, But Video and Speaking are Awesome
I actually will not do client sessions when I'm traveling. I get an unlimited text roaming plan if I'm across the border and I'm available by Facetime or Skype for my top level private clients if they need a quick burst session. I use my laptop and/or iPhone for checking email. And I pray for good wifi. If I'm traveling in Canada (I'm from Canada), it's so much easier and doesn't cost me a fortune.
But honestly, I kind of savor the fact that I'm not available for calls when I'm away. That's what keeps me more connected to my self. And… I load up my iPhone with coaching call recordings, my own self-guided meditations and any training audios I'm currently working on, so I can catch up while I'm on the plane and before sleep. Great question!!
I also LOVE shooting video while I'm traveling, so I have a tripod and my iPole (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMScWaZdwfs I got it at VidCon in LA this summer – not this one but a bigger more sturdy version) and a cool little high quality HD camera (Kodak Playsport).
Thanks to Brenda MacIntyre – The Success Shaman. Business Birthing, Marketing Magic & More Money for spiritual women entrepreneurs
6 Tips that Keep My Business Growing and Expanding
I have been perpetually traveling for 1.5 years now, so I don't have the luxury of a ‘home' to go back to, yet my business keeps growing and expanding! Here are tips that I follow:
- Enjoy wherever I am (and if I'm not, leave).
- Have all the adapters I need for the different countries I may visit.
- Schedule and prep content – I prep a bulk amount of my weekly tips and monthly videos and schedule them to go out, so I don't have to worry or think of doing this when I'm in transit.
- Be open to who I am meeting because I've met some incredible people who have played key roles in my personal and business life.
- Have a daily exercise routine as well as being fairly diligent on getting great food and sleep.
- Stay connected with family regularly, no matter how difficult the time (and internet connection) can be.
Thanks to Saida E. Desilets – Dedicated to supporting the natural emergence of sensuality within all women.
How Do You Dream of Freedom in Your Business
As you read through these tips, you'll see that each of my contributors has their own definition of freedom in their business. For example, some work with clients all over the world, while others choose to keep that for their home base, but they may be traveling to speak at a conference.
Many entrepreneurs think that there is just one way to do things. That is just not the case and one of the reasons I thought sharing what successful people do would help you to figure out your own plan.
What Tips, Tricks, Strategy, Operations Setup Do You Recommend?
Do you enjoy a freedom-based lifestyle business? What does being free in your business mean to you? Do you enjoy working from more than one location? Or, do you want to get your business to a state where you can? I'd love to her your thoughts in the comments.
Note: Mention of these products/companies does not mean that I personally endorse them. Each of my experts have shared what works for them and in some instances I have not tried them personally. Also, some links are affiliate links (because I have tried them and love them.)