Disasters strike every day and they strike QUICKLY! People don't plan to participate in a disaster. Unfortunately, many don't prepare to avoid consequences either.
According to a University of Wisconsin report, 29% of businesses that lose data in a disaster are out of business in 2 years & 43% never re-open their doors at all! Are you prepared? No? Not Sure? Keep reading to find out what to do so you limit your risk.
911, Katrina, wild fires, tornatoes, earthquakes, fires, and so many other unexpected disasters happen. Many disasters take down one business or community, but recently, major storms, such as Katrina, have taken out counties and states!
This is the beginning of a short series I'll write on how to be plan-full about mitigating the risk of disasters in your area. Let's make sure your business is not one of the reported 72 percent – not to mention your family and your life!
The University of Illinois Extension shares the following questions to help you determine your risk.
Answer each question with a YES or NO
- Do you believe your community is well-prepared for a disaster?
- Is your family well-prepared for the types of disasters that occur in your part of the world?
- Have you checked your home or office for hazards and fixed any potential problems?
- Are you currently in First Aid/CPR training?
- Do you have a disaster supply kit?
- Do you have a disaster supply kit in each car?
- Do you have operational smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors?
- Do you have a charged ABC fire extinguisher (and know how to operate it?)
- Do you know how to turn off all utilities (gas, electricity, water, etc.)?
- Do you know where your family records are?
- Do you know where your family or office mates will meet outside your space in case of an emergency?
- Do you know at least two exits from every room in your office or home in case of a fire?
- Have you practiced an emergency drill in your home or office in the past year?
- Do you have an out-of-area phone contact?
- Can you list the actual cash value of EVERY item in your home or office, garage or yard?
- Do you know what your insurance covers?
- Do you have plans for employees or family members with special needs safety during a disaster?
- Do you have a plan for your pets?
BE SAFE … BE INFORMED … BE PREPARED!
So how did you do? Say “yes” to everything? What do you need to get into place?
To your success!